Top 5 Best Android phones in 2023: These Android phones are known for their impressive performance, excellent value, and dependable camera systems, making them top picks in the market.
In the perpetual battle of smartphone rivalry, iOS and Android continue to stand out as the top choices. Despite Apple‘s ongoing efforts to improve iPhone customization, when it comes to the broadest range of configurations and upgrades, Android remains the go-to platform. This extends to various form factors, software features, and much more.
To provide you with a comprehensive overview of the top Android choices, a group of industry experts conducted thorough tests and reviews of the latest devices to identify the ones truly worth your investment. Among them, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra emerged as the leading option. Take a look at the list below to explore more carefully selected devices and decide which one aligns best with your requirements.
Top 5 Best Android phones in 2023
1. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Pro’s and Con’s of Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
- Offering the most comprehensive smartphone experience available in the market.
- Boasting a versatile and dependable quad-camera setup.
- Leading the competition with a generous base storage option of 256GB.
- Enhanced functionality thanks to the integrated S Pen stylus.
- Some users may find the phone to be unwieldy, particularly when using a case.
- Fast charging is limited to a maximum of 45W.
- Comparatively higher price range compared to many other Android phones.
Specifications: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra Overview
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy|
|Display size||6.8 inches|
|Rear cameras||200MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 10MP 10x optical, 10MP 3x optical|
|Colors||Phantom Black, Cream, Green, Lavender|
|Size||163.4 x 78.1 x 8.9mm|
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra was crowned the best Android phone in the previous year, and its successor, the Galaxy S23 Ultra, is set to continue Samsung’s success in 2023. This new flagship device follows the trend of offering an extensive range of features. It boasts a stunning display, an impressive quad-camera setup with a high-resolution 200MP camera, and the convenience of an integrated S Pen stylus for various tasks.
The S23 Ultra also brings subtle enhancements, including larger storage options starting at 256GB, a powerful Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy chipset, and a more ergonomic design for improved handling and writing experience. As expected, this level of excellence comes with a high price tag, starting at $1,199. However, if you desire an uncompromising phone and our top Android recommendation thus far, the S23 Ultra is the ideal choice.
2. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Pro’s and Con’s of Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
- The smartphone can transform into a tablet-like device, offering the benefits of both.
- It features a spacious 7.6-inch OLED panel with a high refresh rate of 120Hz for smooth and vibrant visuals.
- S Pen support allows for enhanced productivity and creative capabilities.
- Flex Mode provides additional functionality and convenience.
- The device comes with a high price tag of $1,799, making it expensive.
- Charging speed could be improved for faster recharging.
- The unique form factor may require some adjustment and familiarity to fully adapt to.
Specifications: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 Overview
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1|
|Display size||6.2 inches (outer), 7.6 inches (inner)|
|Rear cameras||50MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 10MP telephoto|
|Front camera||10MP (outer), 4MP (inner)|
|Colors||Graygreen, Beige, Burgundy, Phantom Black|
|Size (folded)||155.1 x 67.1 x 14.2mm|
Foldable smartphones are becoming more popular and mainstream, but that doesn’t mean it’s too early to embrace this innovative trend. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is the company’s most advanced 2-in-1 smartphone yet, and it currently stands as the best option available, although the new Pixel Fold from Google could give it some competition. Some people may even argue that the Galaxy Z Flip 4, with its easier learning curve and practical design, is even better!
The latest model offers impressive features such as up to 12GB of RAM, a powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor, a flexible display that can transition from 6.2 inches to 7.6 inches, and all the software advantages of Android 12L. Samsung has also made improvements to the phone’s design to ensure it is more consistent, durable, and lightweight.
According to Experts’s testing and review of the Z Fold 4, the experience of using this device continues to unfold with new possibilities and clever software features that reveal themselves as you adapt to its flexible nature in your daily life. While there is a notable difference between using a foldable phone and a traditional slab-shaped one, like with any technology, it’s the experience of learning and exploring its capabilities that truly makes it worthwhile.
3. Motorola Razr Plus
Pro’s and Con’s of Motorola Razr Plus
- The compact size of the device offers a refreshing and convenient user experience.
- It boasts uncompromising build quality and performance, ensuring a premium feel and smooth operation.
- It is the first foldable phone to feature dust resistance, providing added durability and peace of mind.
- The battery life is moderate, and it may require frequent charging. The 30W charging speed might not be as fast as some other devices in the market.
- The device lacks a telephoto camera, which limits the zoom capabilities compared to phones with such a camera.
Specifications of Motorola Razr Plus
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1|
|Display size||3.6 inches (external), 6.9 inches (internal)|
|Rear cameras||12MP main, 13MP ultra-wide|
|Colors||Infinite Black, Glacier Blue, Viva Magenta|
|Size||170.83 x 73.95 x 6.99mm|
Phones nowadays are becoming faster and more powerful, but they are also becoming bulkier. That’s where the Motorola Razr Plus stands out in the 2023 smartphone landscape. This phone has a unique clamshell-style design, which means it can transform from a smaller 3.6-inch display to a larger 6.9-inch size when needed. When folded, it is compact and fits easily in your pocket, similar to a card slot wallet.
Despite its small size, the Motorola Razr Plus offers a wide range of features and good performance. It runs on a slightly older Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor but can handle popular apps and services like Instagram, WhatsApp, YouTube, and games without any issues. The large external display allows you to use the phone without having to open it, giving you a two-in-one device experience.
In summary, the Motorola Razr Plus is a modern take on the classic flip phone, transforming it into one of the best foldable smartphones available today. While the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 may be the top choice in its category, the Razr Plus is worth considering if you want a dual-screen phone at a more affordable price.
4. Google Pixel 7 Pro
Pro’s and Con’s of Google Pixel 7 Pro
- The 30x Super Res Zoom feature offers better zoom capabilities than other phones in the market.
- The Android 13 operating system provides a smooth and seamless user experience.
- The phone receives regular updates and support for an extended period of time.
- It offers unique software features and tricks exclusive to Pixel devices.
- The battery life is not as long-lasting, and the charging speed may be slower compared to some other phones.
- The curved display design makes it challenging to find a screen protector that fits properly.
- Some users may find the software experience to be too minimalistic or lacking in features.
Google Pixel 7 Pro more details
|Processor||Google Tensor G2|
|Display size||6.7 inches|
|Rear cameras||50MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 48MP telephoto|
|Front camera||10.8 MP|
|Colors||Obsidian, Snow, Hazel|
|Size||162.9 x 76.6 x 8.9mm|
The Pixel 7 Pro is not Google’s highest-tier flagship anymore, as that title belongs to the Pixel Fold, which is priced at $1,799. However, the Pixel 7 Pro remains Google’s most refined and extensively tested device. It features a 6.7-inch display and a more consistent glass-to-aluminum body design. It is powered by the updated Google Tensor G2 chip, providing better efficiency, performance, and practical software features like Unblur, Guided Frame, and the popular Magic Eraser from the previous year.
Google’s focus on “accessible creativity” sets its phones apart from other brands. The company aims to cater to anyone with an interest in taking pictures, rather than targeting a specific demographic. The Pixel 7 Pro’s triple camera system, combined with Google’s computational prowess, gives it an edge over the competition. It excels in capturing natural-looking photos and videos, and the new 30x Super Res Zoom delivers sharp and detailed close-up shots.
The Pixel 7 Pro’s price of $899 is an attractive aspect, as it offers similar or better features than Samsung and Apple’s flagship phones at a lower price point.
5. Asus ROG Phone 7 Ultimate
Pro’s and con’s of Asus ROG Phone 7 Ultimate
- The 6.78-inch OLED display offers a high refresh rate of 165Hz, providing smooth and fluid visuals.
- The phone boasts a large 6,000mAh battery, ensuring long-lasting usage without frequent charging.
- It includes a cooling fan that also functions as a subwoofer, enhancing the audio experience.
- The software experience may feel cluttered or overwhelming to some users.
- It may not be compatible with all carrier networks, so it’s essential to check compatibility before purchasing.
- The overall price of the phone can be considered high, considering all the features and specifications it offers.
Specifications: Asus ROG Phone 7 Ultimate
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2|
|Display size||6.78 inches|
|Rear cameras||50MP main, 13MP ultrawide, 5MP macro|
|Size||173 x 77 x 10.3mm|
When it comes to gaming, Android has a clear advantage over iOS, and the Asus ROG Phone 7 Ultimate stands out as one of the best gaming smartphones available. Here are its key gaming features explained in simpler terms:
- The phone has a high refresh rate display of 165Hz, which means the visuals appear extremely smooth.
- It is equipped with 16GB of RAM and the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset, providing powerful performance for gaming and multitasking.
- The phone has capacitive side triggers that can be assigned to different in-game functions for easier control.
- An additional LED back panel adds a cool animation effect that changes depending on your actions in the game.
- The phone comes with a bundled AeroActive Cooler, which acts as a cooling fan to prevent overheating. It also functions as a subwoofer to enhance the audio output and provides extra buttons for more control during gameplay.
Comparison: Top 5 Android phones
After considering the specifications and reviews from experts, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra emerges as the top Android phone currently available. It features a stunning AMOLED display, a powerful processor, and an advanced camera system that excels in capturing various types of photos and angles. Let’s take a look at how the best Android phones compare to each other.
|Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra||$1,199||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy||6.8 inches, 120Hz Dynamic AMOLED||200MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 10MP 10x optical, 10MP 3x optical||5,000mAh|
|Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4||$1,799||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1||6.2 and 7.6 inches, 120Hz Flexible AMOLED||50MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 10MP telephoto||4,400mAh|
|Motorola Razr Plus||$999||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1||3.6 and 6.9 inches, 144Hz and 165Hz OLED||12MP main, 12MP ultrawide||3,800mAh|
|Google Pixel 7 Pro||$899||Google Tensor G2||6.7 inches, 120Hz Dynamic AMOLED||50MP main, 12MP ultrawide, 48MP telephoto||5,000mAh|
|Asus ROG Phone 7 Ultimate||$1,300 (expected)||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2||6.78 inches, 165Hz AMOLED||50MP main, 13MP ultrawide, 5MP macro||6,000mAh|